Friday, August 14, 2015

2014  Kelsey's Scholarship Award Recipient.....Maddie Sutton  Giving Back....... Please read Maddie's story....Kelsey's spirit lives on through others.......

Madison Sutton
January 10, 2015
Kelsey’s Kharacteristics
            My life has changed enormously over the past year. After graduating from Owen J. Roberts High School, I decided to further my education at Quinnipiac University. Not that many people have heard of Quinnipiac University, otherwise known as QU. That being said, I frequently find myself at social gatherings being asked the repetitive question, “So, where do you go to school?”. After being asked this question so many times, my response is practically rehearsed. I explain that Quinnipiac University is located in Hamden, Connecticut. As most conversations linger, what I am studying at QU becomes a reoccurring topic as well. Conversely, when I try to explain to someone what I am studying at Quinnipiac University, my description almost always varies.
            I am an Occupational Therapy major. According to the American Occupational Therapy Association, “Occupational Therapists and Occupational Therapy assistants help people across the lifespan participate in the things they want and need to do through the therapeutic use of everyday activities” (www.aota.org). My depiction of Occupational Therapy constantly varies in conversations mainly due to my personal feelings regarding the career; such a career where Kelsey’s characteristics are present. Occupational therapists do not ask “What's the matter with you?”, but rather “What matters to you?” (www.aota.org). I first became interested in Occupational Therapy towards the end of my senior year. I volunteered at a facility called Theraplay, an outpatient institution facilitating Occupation Therapy, Physical Therapy, and Speech Therapy. I automatically fell in love with the profession. After several hours of observing multiple therapists working with patients, I knew Occupational Therapy was the career I wanted to pursue.
            Looking back at my first semester of college, I honestly could not be prouder of myself. I truly changed my study habits for the better and seriously started thinking about my future as an Occupational Therapist. In high school, I did not have to study that much because most of my grades came easily, as long as I managed to pay attention in class. However, college has been a totally different story. I find myself spending countless hours at the library and spending much more time with my Professors and student peers than I originally anticipated. I take my studies very seriously because I recognize the effort I put into my work will only help me in the future. I cannot help but think of Kelsey when I glance back at my first semester of college due to her characteristics of determination and compassion. I never imagined I could become so passionate about Occupational Therapy. Occupational Therapy appeals to me for numerous reasons, but the main reason being I completely love the idea of helping others who are less fortunate than me. I know Kelsey had similar beliefs as well.
            I remember during my sophomore year; Kelsey’s junior year, Maddie Cobb won a starting position on our high school soccer team. Being only a sophomore, Maddie always seemed to be very nervous before each game. I vividly remember one game in particular; the varsity team was playing against Downingtown West. Maddie Cobb was taken out of the game after continuously being yelled at by Coach Margusity. She was in tears when Kelsey approached her. I remember this specific moment in time because my best friend was truly in emotional pain. Kelsey comforted Maddie in such a way, that I can still picture in my head. I remember the bright stadium lights and shiny green turf that set the scene while Maddie was crying and gasping for air upon being substituted out of the soccer game. On the sideline, Kelsey simply held Maddie’s face in her hands and kept repeating that she was playing fine and Coach Margusity was simply being difficult. After several sniffles and a few failed objections, Maddie managed to calm herself down thanks to Kelsey and eventually went back into the game. Kelsey helped Maddie in such a way I can only hope to help future patients; Kelsey gave Maddie hope.
            Kelsey has truly inspired me in relation to my future as an Occupational Therapist. The past few months I have spent at Quinnipiac University have helped me realize what is truly important in life. I have made special bonds with many people whom I am fortunate to call my friends. I joined the Occupational Therapy club at QU and have participated in numerous community proceedings. I partook in a 5K running event and even had the chance to personally listen to the struggles and triumphs of a quadriplegic veteran. I acknowledge the fact that I am very lucky to be living the life I have and I truly feel that becoming an Occupational Therapist will help me give back to my community. After finishing my first semester at QU and making the Dean’s list with a GPA of 3.59, I know my hard work has been completely worth it.
            Kelsey embraced life with a sense of compassion and lived life with a sense of determination. Such characteristics also play an important role in my own life because looking back at Kelsey’s past truly influences my future.



Madison Sutton
06/01/2015
Relay For Life
            Relay For Life is an event run by the American Cancer Society. Relay For Life brings communities together to fight against cancer. Participants help raise money for cancer research and help raise awareness of the different forms of cancer and how they affect cancer victims and their families. The Relay For Life celebrates and honors cancer survivors, caregivers, and those who are still fighting their own battle against cancer.  The Relay For Life of Pottstown is our local event, and this year’s event raised almost 300,000 dollars.
The Relay is a really different experience for me as an Occupational Therapy student as oncology is not directly involved in my course of study. The focus of my training is working directly with patients to help them become functional again in their lives. While there are definitely opportunities for an OT to work with cancer survivors, we do not get to see the impact that cancer can have on the families of the patients. Participating in the Relay gave me the opportunity to see cancer’s impact on many levels and feel the inspiration that comes from the engaging community event.
            The American Cancer Society encourages cancer survivors, their families, visitors, and community members to come and participate in the event’s festivities. This year’s Relay For Life of Pottstown occurred on May 30th to the 31st in Pottsgrove High School’s stadium. My sister and I attended the relay this year and participated in a variety of ways: we donated money, decorated luminaria bags and, of course, walked around the track.
The walk around the track was particularly important for me as it is symbolic of the tireless efforts of cancer patients and their families as they fight cancer. It really symbolizes the tough fight that cancer victims have and made me realize what an amazing community of people there are out there and how powerful it is to participate. In addition, my sister and I decorated a luminaria bag in memory of my uncle (who died due to cancer complications) and another luminaria bag in honor of my cousin (currently battling colon cancer).
The lighting of the luminarias was a really incredible event and really reminded me of the hope and positive spirit which Kelsey always showed. When the sun goes down and the luminaria ceremony begins, the stadium just glows. All of the donated luminaria bags are lit up and the word “HOPE” is written out across the bleachers in the stadium.
            This year, Relay For Life of Pottstown’s theme was “superheroes”. Tents were superhero themed and plenty of participants were wearing superhero costumes.





            I am also participating in the American Cancer Society Relay For Life event occurring at my college, Quinnipiac University. Although the event will not be as big as Pottstown’s Relay For Life, awareness and money will nevertheless be raised. I am the team captain of a team that consists of about fifteen of my friends. The Relay For Life event will occur on my college’s campus and a luminaria ceremony will also transpire. Quinnipiac University’s Relay For Life will take place on September 11th. My team has set a goal of fundraising 500 dollars.
            Relay For Life events are truly inspirational. Relay For Life events celebrate life and encourage individuals within communities to live their lives fully. Kelsey also lived by similar standards. She always managed to find the happiness in small things. She filled rooms with smiles and laughter, taking on life with positivity. Relay For Life celebrates the beauty of life; just as Kelsey did.


Thank you Maddie for sharing your story with all of us and for honoring Kelsey......she would be so proud.....





1 comment:

Unknown said...

Absolutely amazing story and spirit Maddie! The world is a bit brighter and more beautiful because of people like you, Kelsey and the lives of those you touch. God Bless you always.

Kathleen Saring

Post a Comment